Recently I upgraded my phone to iPhone 4S and was playing around with Siri voice commands. At first Siri did not understand my commands, which was annoying. However, I realized I was not saying things the way Siri understands. So I looked around online on Apple’s web site and found very little documentation and tips on using this awesome feature of the iPhone. Here are some frequently used Siri commands that were useful for me:
- Set up a meeting at 9
- Set up a meeting with Michael at 9
- Meet with Lisa at noon
- Set up a meeting about hiring tomorrow at 9am
- New appointment with Susan Park Friday at 3
- Schedule a planning meeting at 8:30 today in the boardroom
- Move my 3pm meeting to 4:30
- Reschedule my appointment with Dr. Manning to next Monday at 9am
- Add Lisa to my meeting with Jason
- Cancel the budget review meeting
Asking about events
- What does the rest of my day look like?
- What’s on my calendar for Friday?
- When is my next appointment?
- When am I meeting with Michael?
- Where is my next meeting?
- Wake me up tomorrow at 7am
- Set an alarm for 6:30am
- Wake me up in 8 hours
- Change my 6:30 alarm to 6:45
- Turn off my 6:30 alarm
- Delete my 7:30 alarm
Checking the Clock
- What time is it?
- What time is it in Berlin?
- What is today’s date?
- What’s the date this Saturday?
Using a Timer
- Set the timer for ten minutes
- Show the timer
- Pause the timer
- Reset the timer
- Stop it
- Email Lisa about the trip
- Email Jennifer about the change in plans
- New email to Susan Park
- Mail Dad about the rent check
- Email Dr. Manning and say I got the forms, thanks
- Mail Lisa and Jason about the party and say I had a great time
- Check email
- Any new email from Michael today?
- Show new mail about the lease
- Show the email from Lisa yesterday
Responding to Messages
- Reply Dear Susan sorry about the late payment
- Call him at work
Checking Up on Friends
- Where’s Jason?
- Where is my sister?
- Is my wife at home?
- Where are all my friends?
- Who is here?
- Who is near me?
- How do I get home?
- Show 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino California
- Directions to my dad’s work
- Find coffee near me
- Where is Starbucks?
- Find some burger joints in Baltimore
- Find a gas station within walking distance
- Good Mexican restaurants around here
- Tell Susan I’ll be right there
- Send a message to Jason Russell
- Send a message to Lisa saying how about tomorrow
- Tell Jennifer the show was great
- Send a message to Susan on her mobile saying I’ll be late
- Send a message to 408 555 1212
- Text Jason and Lisa where are you?
- Read my new messages
- Read it again
Replying to Texts
- Reply that’s great news
- Tell him I’ll be there in 10 minutes
- Call her
- Play The Light of the Sun
- Play Trouble
- Play Taking Back Sunday shuffled
- Play Alicia Keys
- Play some blues
- Play my party mix
- Shuffle my roadtrip playlist
Creating and finding notes
- Note that I spent $12 on lunch
- Note: check out that new Alicia Keys album
- Find my restaurant note
- Create a reading list note
- Add Tom Sawyer to my reading list note
- Call Jason
- Call Jennifer Wright mobile
- Call Susan on her work phone
- Call 408 555 1212
- Call home
- FaceTime Lisa
- Remind me to call mom
- Remind me to call my mom when I get home
- Remember to take an umbrella
- Remind me take my medicine at 6am tomorrow
- Remind me to pick up flowers when I leave here
- Remind me when I leave to call Jason
- Remind me to finish the report by 6
- What’s Apple’s stock price?
- What is Apple’s PE ratio?
- What did Yahoo close at today?
- How is the Nikkei doing?
- How are the markets doing?
- What is the Dow at?
Checking the Forecast
- What’s the weather for today?
- What’s the weather for tomorrow?
- Will it rain in Cupertino this week?
- Check next week’s forecast for Burlington
- What’s the forecast for this evening?
- How’s the weather in Tampa right now?
- How hot will it be in Palm Springs this weekend?
- What’s the high for Anchorage on Thursday?
- What’s the temperature outside?
- How windy is it out there?
- When is sunrise in Paris?
Looking up information
- Search the web for Bora Bora
- Search for vegetarian pasta recipes
- Search the web for best cable plans
- Google the war of 1812
- Search Wikipedia for Abraham Lincoln
- Search for news about the World Cup
- Bing Alicia Keys
Using Wolfram Alpha
- How many calories in a bagel?
- What is an 18% tip on $86.74 for four people?
- Who’s buried in Grant’s tomb?
- How long do dogs live?
- What is the Gossamer Condor?
- What’s the square root of 128?
- How many dollars is €45?
- What was the Best Picture of 1983?
- How many days until Christmas?
- How far away is the Sun?
- When is the next solar eclipse?
- Show me the Orion constellation
- What’s the population of Jamaica?
- How high is Mt. Everest?
- How deep is the Atlantic ocean?
- What’s the price of gasoline in Chicago?..
This week I attended a great webinar by Google’s Avinash Kaushik(@avinash) on mobile marketing and advertising strategies. Avinash is a funny guy and really knows his stuff. One of the takeaways from the webinar was “integrate mobile strategy” in every aspect of your online marketing strategy. According to Microsoft, half of all local searches are done through mobile phones, which means businesses need to adapt and optimize their web sites for mobile platforms today.
Watch the recorded webinar to learn more:
Today Amazon launched Kindle Cloud which allows you to read ebooks on any device using a browser. This helps Amazon to go around Apple’s App Store restriction on purchasing from 3rd party digital stores using an app on Apple devices. Kindle Cloud also allows you to continue to read even if you lose your internet connection.
According to PC Mag Top 5 iPad note taking apps are:
- Note Taker HD
My favorite from that list is Evernote, it is free and can also sync up all your notes between your iPad, iPhone and computer in the cloud.However, for drawing and sketching I really like Wacom’s Bamboo Paper.
Bamboo Paper is awesome, it is easy to use with fingers, if you want to sketch more precisely you can also buy their styles pen.
I have been using Evernote on my iPhone for the last 6 months and it is simply the best note taking application out there. Evernote can synch with your desktop and your web account. It works on these platforms: iPhone, iPod Touch, Windows Mobile, MAC, and Windows based desktops.
So, let’s say you record a voice note or take a picture on your iPhone while sitting at a cafe, then later you can download that note on the web or through your desktop. Evernote also makes a great desktop version of of its software and you can take notes on your computer which can later show up on your iPhone. This app truly shows that line between mobile, web and desktop are blurring, which is the future of computing.
Kudos to the designers and developers of Evernote, it is simply the best note taking iPhone app out there. Happy birthday Evernote!
This week is full of iPhone news and coverage of its new 3G debut on Friday. In the same spirit I thought I would share one of my favorite web applications on the iPhone, it is iSepta.org. This is a type of site that I use everyday. It has all timetables and schedules of trains in Philly.
Even if you have another type of mobile phone (Blackberry, Treo etc..) with a web browser you can still use this site.
Three geniuses put together this little web app, and kudos for designing such a useful and easy to use iPhone app. Thanks!
Check it out: www.isepta.org
After playing around with an iPhone, I am really impressed with Apple’s new mobile device. However, it does not have everything, and there are still some areas that could use some updates or additions.
There are 10 things I would like to see Apple engineers add to the iPhone (or iPhone 2.0):
- Cut & Paste button or function (there is none right now)
- GPS plugin or IP based geolocator for Google Maps
- Zoom feature for the Camera
- Video shooting using the Camera
- Flash support for Safari
- File storage and viewer
- Ability to record sound
- Option to have multiple signatures for different email accounts
- Vertical viewing for emails
- Improve and Add a new to do list application
Here are few more critical issues that needs to be also addressed on the iPhone that I forgot to include on my previous post:
- Battery Life (is not good)
- Microphone volume control (low quality)
- Better download Speed for EDGE Network
iPhone does so many cool things, but will it blend?